NHS Seeks Advisor

Due to the ongoing pandemic, future and current members of the National Honor Society at Pewaukee High School are forced to postpone their involvement in the nation-wide club for the 2020-2021 school year.
Scholarship, leadership, service and character are the qualifications that allow students to be accepted into this motivated group. Before this year, members would volunteer around the community, participating in events and other activities. However, with COVID-19 the ability to help around Pewaukee is limited. Mrs. Sarah Wersal, English teacher and former NHS advisor, encourages students to continue volunteering.

“By donating blood, writing cards, raking, doing yard work and collecting toys, you can help your community,” Wersal said. “We have to be more creative to keep the student’s safety in mind, meaning there are less volunteer opportunities available.”

Due to the setbacks caused by COVID, there is currently no advisor selected to run NHS. Khadijah Dhoondia, a junior interested in joining NHS, expresses her concern for not having an advisor for the 2020 school year.
“While I don’t know much about the NHS selection process, I think it is important that it is prioritized to find an advisor,” Dhoondia said. “NHS is a notable part of graduation and many people participate in this program.”
“I hope that they find an advisor soon,” Wersal said. “There are a lot of students — who are now juniors — who would be a great fit in the club. Even though COVID has continued to impact us, and will continue to impact us, it is important that students still find ways to improve their community.”