Even with safety limitations, students find a way to keep singing–safely

The COVID-19 pandemic is taking a toll on communities, not only because of the inability to see people, but because of challenges associated with sharing music. Students in choir are unable to have concerts most of this year and can only sing together for 30 minutes in any given space, far away from one another with masks.

“I think everyone was frustrated with the challenges of singing,” Tasha Igielski, PHS choir director said. “But I am grateful to be able to sing, we really need choir… especially now,” Igielski said.

Instead of holding choir concerts, PHS choirs will share their music through videos. In person performances have been postponed indefinitely due to the threat singing poses to both the students and the audience, according to Igielski.

“My hope is to do some sort of performance outside in the spring,” Igielski said, “but at this time it is not in the best interest of community members and our singers to be hosting a concert. . . We are paying attention to the research that’s been done on singing to ensure the safety of students and families.”

Community members and vocalists are disappointed in the lack of performances this year.

“Not having concerts does slightly suck,” Senior Emily Thomas said. “I think the concerts are a fun way for the community to come together and enjoy what we’ve worked on for months. But, that’ll make it just that much more special if — and hopefully when — we do get to have a concert again.”

Despite these challenges, students in choir are doing their best to keep singing and spreading the joy of music, even while standing eight feet apart.

“Students are handling this by persevering and being positive and trying to the best of their ability,” Igielski said, “This really shows positive character and what great people you all are. I love being able to showcase the hard work and talent of students, but I am happy to be able to be singing.”