PHS students find ways to combat quarantine

During Spring 2020, Zoom has become the main form of communication among friends. It has also been used in schools across the country. Mrs. Bengs'  Advanced Media class is pictured here meeting with virtual and in-person students.

Alex Thieneman

During Spring 2020, Zoom has become the main form of communication among friends. It has also been used in schools across the country. Mrs. Bengs’ Advanced Media class is pictured here meeting with virtual and in-person students.

When we were shut down, students were thrilled to not have to go to school. It felt like an extension onto their fast approaching summer. But as we all have turned the corner into the ninth month of the raging pandemic, that excitement has been lost.

On March 25, 2020, Governor Tony Evers implemented a mandatory ‘Stay at Home’ order across the state of Wisconsin. Schools were shut down and all were required to quarantine inside their home, except to get necessary items and groceries. While in quarantine, people were forced to figure out how to keep themselves occupied, such as finding a new hobby or skill.

Pewaukee High School students passed time during quarantine in many different ways. Junior Sydney Vitalbo shares some new experiences and skills developed during this time.

“Over quarantine I learned how to do henna tattoos,” Vitalbo said. “My friend Khadijah first introduced me to it when she was celebrating Ramadan and I found it to be a super relaxing and fun activity. I actually got henna cones for my birthday from her and I used them throughout the summer, creating a new design whenever the last one wore off. I love them and I encourage others to try it out because they look super pretty!”

Henna wasn’t the only thing that people did while locked down. Freshman Addison Young also found something new.

“A new hobby I discovered was definitely baking, “Young said. “I found it really fun and just a way to distract myself. Chocolate chip cookies were definitely a favorite in my household and I baked those a lot.”

Sophomore Clarissa Merkel found her knack for creativity as well.

“During quarantine, one of my classes was drawing 1 and we were required to create and submit artwork each week; however, with nothing else to do while in quarantine, I began creating artwork simply for fun and it has developed into one of my favorite hobbies that I am still doing today!” Merkel said.

Sophomore Carter Pearson found nature and simple tasks as a distraction.

“During quarantine I kept myself busy by trying to stay as active as possible,” Pearson said. “I found that finding little chores to do around the house or just getting up and moving occasionally never failed to lift my spirits. Additionally, I tried to stay as connected as possible with my friends through social media apps.”

With Winter approaching, cold weather on its way, and holiday break just around the corner, students need to channel that creativity they had when quarantine first started, and use it to survive the next set of challenges.