Staff, students see increase in resolution follow through

On average, 50% of American adults make some sort of New Year’s resolution. Whether it’s going to the gym more regularly, wasting less time scrolling through social media, or something more personal, nationwide, people are resolving to do better in some area of their lives. But though the percentage of people that start the year off with good intentions is high, the estimated percentage of people that actually stick to that resolution for even a few months drops to less than 10%. Bearing that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the resolutions Pewaukee Pirates made this year.

“To eliminate unnecessary clutter and things from my life, I’m giving 2 large boxes a month to the HOPE Center in Waukesha, a great organization.” PHS Art teacher Allison Olson said. “I’m also challenging myself to not purchase any non-consumable items for my life. We have so many things we think we need, however when truly thinking about it, we don’t need much.” This serves as a great reminder that resolutions don’t always have to be about gaining. We often believe that resolutions are about us becoming “more” than we currently are when in fact it can be about anything that betters you or others.

So far, Olson has been successful in her resolution, even benefiting monetarily from getting rid of some of her things. “I donated my items and actually sold a few items to get them out of the house.” Olson said. While she has made an effort to be more conscious of her purchases and determine whether they are essential or not, there are always going to be things she just needs to buy, especially as a parent. “I had to purchase a new pair of pants for my son, but my kids are 2.5 and 1.5 so they are growing fast, that might be one thing I need to allow myself to purchase.” Olson said.

It’s not just adults making resolutions though. Students at PHS have also made some resolutions of their own this year. “My New Year’s resolution is to spend more time taking care of myself mentally and physically.” Junior Bailey Volkert said. This resolution, while not as tangible as Olson’s, is still a great goal to have. “I am currently doing rather well on my resolution. No matter how busy I am, I always make time to do an activity that calms my mood such as journaling, listening to music, or spending time with family and friends.” Volkert said. “I also aim to get at least 30 minutes of exercise everyday.”

Though Volkert has added some steps to her routine in order to accommodate these resolutions, she has found the effects quite worth the effort. When asked if she would change anything if she had to set the same resolution next year she said, “No, I think that this is a great resolution for me. It will help me become a healthier person physically and mentally.” And that’s exactly the point of making a resolution.

Freshman Zoey Gross also made a resolution. “This year I’d like to be more mindful by meditating and doing more things for self care.” Gross said. According to a study done by Washington State University, experts should expect an increasing percentage of resolutions to be made about self care due to the events of 2020. Many people are starting to realize just how important taking care of your mental health is and 2020 was the ultimate test of this.
But it’s not easy to stick to new goals. It can take a while for you to get used to incorporating something new into your routine or a resolution may require a lot of time or energy which lessens your incentive to do it consistently. Gross found that she isn’t doing as well as she hoped with staying consistent. “I’m not doing as well as I’d like, although I am doing better than last year,” Gross said. “I’ve been doing more things that make me happy, but I’ve not been meditating enough.”

Having a goal isn’t always enough. For some people, thoroughly planning and being specific can go a long way in terms of motivation. As demonstrated by both the students and teachers of PHS, goals, whether tangible or intangible, are easier to achieve when well planned out.