Collaborative case study trains future leaders

Aiden Loya

Pewaukee students create their presentations for the case study competition on Friday, Feb. 12 as part of the Global Business strand.

Friday, Feb. 12th, the Pewaukee Insight office was full of conversation and collaboration. Janesville and the Pewaukee virtual students continuously communicated effectively with the in-person Pewaukee Global Business students while they thought through their case study conclusions.

Groups made up of an equal number of Pewaukee students and Janesville students sat on their laptops. They read from the documents in the case study and shared new information with their group. While students weren’t sitting next to their team members directly, they were able to reach out to each other on their laptops, safely distanced.

In the first couple hours, Pewaukee Insight and Janesville Elevate students soon began to come up with conclusions and presentations to their topics, “what is the effectiveness of managers?” Groups then had to compete against each other in the preliminary round, judged by local business owners, college business professors and other people in the business world. After these preliminary rounds, only three out of the 12 groups were chosen to present in the final round.

“I think this case study is going well,” Pewaukee Insight Junior Emma Hext said, “All things considered, being online is not ideal for working with team members, but it’s cool we’re able to talk and communicate with people from a different school.”

The Global Business Insight students were also able to attend seminars held by speakers in all areas of the business world before they dove into their case study on topics such as team management and care, career development, communication skills and so much more. Speakers from around the country were able to provide their expertise and reasoning into the topics students signed up for.

“I thought it was so cool to be able to hear from my speaker when he was talking about how to be effective when coaching,” Pewaukee Insight Junior Kollen Osterman said. “They were from Utah and manage a company out there, and I think having the geographical difference was good because it allowed me to see that business owners outside of Pewaukee and Wisconsin use these strategies.”

All of these specialists were speaking on an “Oxygen 8 Attribute”. These attributes were coined by Google’s Project Oxygen and are traits to ensure a supervisor doesn’t micromanage their team but still allows for growth in productivity. Google’s Project Oxygen was in fact one of the main sources used to conduct the case study, meaning that these speakers were essentially able to give them a look at how these traits look in the business world. Many students ended up citing their speaker as a source during their case study presentations because they realized how connected these qualities are to the business world.

“I think the topic is super relevant to today’s world especially since we’re all aiming to be either managers, employers, or anywhere else in the business world.” Osterman said. “Knowing how to be effective as a manager is a skill that is highly needed today.”

As the day progressed, the preliminary judging rounds started to commence an hour and a half before the end of the school day. Groups were finally able to show their teamwork, savviness, and other traits crucial to, not just business, but overall success. At the end of the tough preliminary rounds only three teams were able to progress. And after that, one team was chosen from the close competition.

While only one group was chosen as the winner, in the end, the inter-school case study competition allowed for students to learn and collaborate from people outside of their community and get a truly unique experience.