The Hook

How to protect yourself against senioritis

Stephanie Varin

Senioritis is a classic term used by most high school seniors toward the end of their final year in high school to describe their decreased effort and motivation. Senior year is usually taken as a pass to all high school students to slack off at the end of their high school careers, but it’s not meant to be that way. Senior year is the last year before attending university or going into the working world, and it’s meant to be a year of preparation and rigor. Senioritis can go further than just a little dip in grades toward the end of the year, though. So how much can senioritis really affect an individual?

Senioritis usually begins toward the end of a student’s senior year after finishing college applications. Seniors may feel as if their grades don’t matter after they submit their final applications, but this is a big misconception for a lot of high school students. If colleges see that they have a great dive in their grades toward the end of the year, it will send up red flags about a student’s commitment, and, worst case scenario, they may rescind college acceptance.

Senioritis does not affect only the less ambitious, however. Senior Annika Wille has been an exceptional student for all of her high school career and has loose plans to study radiation therapy or microbiology as UW-Lacrosse next year. Wille is extremely academically driven, but has also cited struggling with maintaining her motivation and the end of this term.  When asked, Wille added that she believed that Pewaukee was particularly affected by senioritis.

“I know from personal experience as well as the experiences from my peers and friends that a lot of people are struggling to find motivation to finish off the school year,” said Wille. “Especially now that it’s the last term, seniors aren’t faced with the threat of resource anymore and everyone is just overall more relaxed and carefree.”

Senioritis during high school can affect academics into college as well, making the transition from high school to university more difficult. NYU Steinhardt recommends keeping class rigor high and maintaining study habits to avoid senioritis in high school.

In conclusion, be wary of the signs of senioritis, and be aware of the consequences that may follow. However, do not obsess over college applications. Senior year is meant to prepare you for university, but remember to have fun as well as keep motivations high.