The Hook

Teens face risks attempting viral challenges

Siya Ruiz

Tide pods, salt, and ice, deodorant are  all used for viral challenges. These challenges have been attempted more likely by teens. What for? Are all the likes, thumbs up and danger really worth the risk?

One dangerous challenge is the salt and ice challenge which first hit the web in 2014. The whole point of the challenge is to put salt on your body like your hand or arm but then put a piece of ice on top of the salt which then causes a burning like sensation. You are supposed to sit and see how long you can take the burning. How does it feel? Ask 12-year-old boy who got second-degree burns from this challenge reported by CBS News.

The cinnamon challenge is a challenge that you have to take a spoon full of ground cinnamon and eat it within 60 seconds with nothing to drink. In Kentucky in 2015, a 4-year-old boy lost his life from the challenge. He took in the powder and seconds later starting choking. “He started choking. It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed,” the mother of the 4-year-old boy said. 

In 2015, the Kylie Jenner lip challenge first hit the web. To get those great plump lips just like Kylie Jenner, get a shot glass, put your lips inside and suck out the air which then creates a vacuum like thing. The only problem is that there is bleeding,  swelling and bruising to get those diva lips. 

The duct tape challenge blew up the internet in 2016. Teens all over have done the duct tape challenge, but the question is: is it worth the risk?  Teenager Renton Wash could say otherwise. Reported by Sfgate.com, while he was doing the challenge with a couple different friends at school,  he was trying to escape and hit his head on the edge of a window frame, crushing his eye socket. 

If you thought that deodorant is just used for personal hygiene, then you are wrong. Millions of people all over have been participating in the deodorant challenge, spraying on deodorant on to their skin just to see how long they can go without stopping. Apparently trying to see how high your pain tolerance is is the new thing to do.  

Why are people eating tide pods is beyond the understanding of the American Association of Poison Control center. They have reported 12,299 exposures to highly concentrated laundry detergent pods in 2017. Now it seems that eating detergent is cool.