The Hook

The art department to go international this summer

The art department students that went on the 2015 Italy trip, standing inside of the Roman Colosseum.

Kristina Harms

On June 11th, the Art Department will be embarking on a trip to Italy and will be returning on June 19th for a grand total of nine days. They will be visiting many places in Italy, including Venice, Florence, Rome, Pompeii and many more locations.

“We are going to be walking a lot,” said Jeanne Bjork, an art teacher at PHS going on the Italy trip. “We leave at like, 7:30 in the morning, and we are not stopping until nine or ten o’clock at night. It’s a fast pace.”

The art students will have the experiences of seeing the Roman Colosseum and exploring the canals of Venice. They will also have the chance to cook their very own Italian cuisine. They will also travel to the Sistine Chapel to experience one of Michelangelo’s best well known pieces, leaving many of the students waiting in anticipation to leave for this trip. The city frozen in time, known as Pompeii, will be one of the last activities taking place on the trip. While it is not particularly focused on art, the history of the volcanic eruption and the effects it had left the city make it a must-visit historical site.

“I am really looking forward to walking through Pompeii and seeing David by Michelangelo,” said Grace Zimmerman, a PHS sophomore art student going on the Italy trip. “The historical art will be very inspirational and traveling with my friends will be fun.”

While the goal of this trip is to experience historic art, it is also to bring art and its history to life in a new and exciting way that will hopefully have an impact on the aspiring artists. The trip to Italy will allow the students and future artists a chance to see the roots of what has led to the art that is known today, and give them a new insight on what they know and love.