The Hook

Track team celebrates season success

Track+team+members+Justin+Krause%2C+junior%2C+and+Will+Young%2C+senior%2C+prepare+for+practice.+
Track team members Justin Krause, junior, and Will Young, senior, prepare for practice.

Owen Krumenacher

As the Pewaukee track season comes to an end, the team reflects on a season of optimism, new records, and great overall team performances at many of their meets.

Coming into this year, many members were anxiously waiting for the season to begin.  After last year’s great results, only the same and if not better was expected from many of this year’s members.  One example of strong optimism this year was long jumper and triple jumper Evan Flegel, junior. After showing out last season and proving to Head Coach Abigail Varela that he was varsity worthy, he only proved that further this season. 

“I was overjoyed. Track is a sport where I can show off my overall athleticism and just be me,” said Flegel. The beginning of track season was a long wait for Flegel and many other teammates.

When the season finally kicked off, Pewaukee got out to a strong start.  The team had great performances at both indoor and outdoor meets. One of the most significant events Pewaukee took part in this year was the Ripon College Showcase event.  This event brought together some of Wisconsin’s best athletes and Pewaukee had a strong showing at the event.

In the 200 meter, David Young, senior, finished 2nd at 23.17 seconds. In that same event, John Sandlass, senior, took 5th and finished at 23.91 seconds.  Later that same day, David Young finished in the top spot for the 400 meters ending at 51.34 seconds.

The women’s team did just as well.  In the 400 meter, Austyn Brock, sophomore, took home 5th place, and the ladies 4×200 took home 1st place.  

“When we have running events, our team is pretty solid and better than many others, but our field events improved a lot this season,” said Flegel.

Stats do show that Pewaukee had an excellent season for field events. (Field events include: long jump, triple jump, discus, shot put, etc.).  In this season alone, Flegel improved both his long jump (19’ 2”) and triple jump (40’ 4”). With two new personal records, the season proved to be special for him.

Rising star Matt Gerrits continued to exemplify his dominance. At conference Gerrits obtained a personal record in high jump (5’ 8”) and three days later got a new personal record in the triple jump (40’ 5.5”).

Many individuals had a great season with new bests and winning events, and as a whole, the team improved tremendously.