The Hook

Suspension policy needs revisiting

Abby Peters

Making a bad decision leads to consequences. Teachers and administrators are responsible for creating a safe, stable environment for learning, while it’s the students responsibility to meet the expectations of the school. Consequences should be used as a growing opportunity; however, schools have incorrectly been using suspensions as a punishment.

Suspensions are actually doing more harm than good for a child’s education. In suspending a student, the student is not allowed to attend school, which can cause major academic issues. Students act out, get sent home, get suspended and return to school a number of days later, behind in their work, and embarrassed or proud of their behavior.

Suspensions are given and passed out like candy in some schools. Suspensions can be given when students skip class. What good does that do? Suspending a student for missing class just makes them miss more. Immagin Adsit, a student that attends Pewaukee High school, said, “Out of school suspensions shouldn’t even be a thing. If kids are acting up they should be given more structure rather than getting ‘rewarded’ with a couple days off.”

Some students don’t mind getting the couple day vacation their school grants them, and the suspension doesn’t change anything. According to Kids Legal.com, “Students who have been suspended tend to get suspended more than once, before larger consequences are given.”

Out of school suspensions do not prevent bad choices. Worse, they lead to the loss of learning to those who may need it most. Structure and help are necessary for those who have trouble making the right choices, not sending them home, where the home life could be the root of the issue.