Preparation for Final Exams

This time of year brings lots of things with it. Snow, cold weather, and final exams! Whether you know it or not,  exams are just around the corner. And the question is, are you ready?

Final exams are very important but oftentimes, students blow them off or fail to study sufficiently. Each class/teacher has their own expectations and testing styles. So how can you ensure you do well on these tests?

Senior, Tea Goodmanson is an experienced veteran when it comes to final exams. “I think that some of the most effective study strategies are just going over the content you had over the entire semester.” says Goodmanson “For example in math, going over old homework assignments and studying those is a good habit.”

“I would give freshmen the advice to not worry about it so much, you know you will do well because it’s the stuff you have been learning. As long as you have been paying attention in class and have been doing the homework, you’ll be fine,” says Goodmanson.

One effective strategy students can use to prepare is talking to their teachers. If you have a question to be answered, the best place to go is to the teacher. 

PHS Spanish teacher, Lisa Gerdman, has observed a few things about her past students when it comes to final exams, “I think some kids really wait until the last minute and start studying about a day or two before final exams,” says Gerdman. “I thi

I think successful students prepare ahead of time, they don’t wait until the last minute, they also do really well on the formative work, and if they have questions, they come in before the exam”

— Lisa Gerdman

nk successful students prepare ahead of time, they don’t wait until the last minute, they also do really well on the formative work, and if they have questions, they come in before the exam,”

Freshman Abby Galaszewski offers some insight into the thoughts of freshmen. “ I’m kind of nervous because they will probably count as a big part of our grade and we have to finish them in a certain amount of time,” says Galaszewski

According to Galaszewski, freshmen are not informed enough about finals. “ They probably should have told us at the start of the year, I feel like they are going to tell us, one class, before we take them,” says Galaszewski.

So as we near final exams, make sure you prepare sufficiently. Study old homework, talk to teachers, prepare plenty of time in advance, make sure you know the material! Good luck on finals everyone!